Sunday 18 April 2010

Brambly Hedge

Recently I came across some books from my childhood, they were selling for £1.49 in my local Oxfam bookshop, I got all four that were on sale. They were all from the Brambly Hedge series, I must have been read these book a hundred times over, they were my absoloute favourites and the illustrations are just gorgeous.



At work the following day I decided to order myself every book I could find from the series, only to find they are all out of print!! I was really disapointed, but so so glad I managed to find these few. My mum still has the collection of stories she used to read to us, but would never dream of giving them away, even to me. This is something I must have inherited, not only do I find the stories wonderful but each book has incredible sentimental value.



"The mice of Brambly Hedge live on the other side of the stream across the field. If you look very hard amongst the tangled roots and steams, you may see a wisp of smoke from a small chimney, or through an open door, a steep flight of stairs deep within the trunk of a tree.

The mice keep themselves very busy. Whether it's spring, summer, autumn, or winter, there is always something to prepare for and, of course, the mice never miss an oppertunity for a celebration."



Above is a picture of a cheeky little mouse named Wilfred, he was always my favourite character. He got up to many adventures and was featured in most of the stories.

I spent hours of my childhood searching hedges and brambles in the park for a sign that this is where the little mice lived, I've not managed to find them yet but when my mum finally agreed to let me have a pet of my own, I chose a little mouse who I then named Wilfred <3

xxx

3 comments:

  1. www.abeboooks.co.uk
    www.bookdepository.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who these are!
    The illustrations are cute, we should sooo go thrift shopping in the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yay I can buy more now!
    And yes Alice shopping! <3

    ReplyDelete